These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca] activity and reification



But Monica, in what context is a discourse, something larger than a sentence, the context for understanding word meaning, a "unit"? That is all I am asking.

Andy

Monica Hansen wrote:
Andy,
I can't speak for Anna, but I am thinking "discourse" as in linguistic
analysis, the larger "unit of analysis", larger than a sentence, in which
words, spoken or written, are used in a meaningful and social way. I am also
thinking of discourse as a context for understanding word meaning.
Monica


-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:52 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] activity and reification

Maybe I am in error because I don't know what people mean by "discourse"? I take "discourse" (in its current philosophical usage) to mean something like "institution." That is to say, a stable and /relatively/ closed pattern of meanings in a language community. Is that right? You think that is what Vygotsky meant by "word"?

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
.... When LSV uses the term "word" I take him to mean spoken language -
that's to say, discourse.


__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca




--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Andy Blunden*
Joint Editor MCA: http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~db=all~content=g932564744
Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/
Book: http://www.brill.nl/default.aspx?partid=227&pid=34857
MIA: http://www.marxists.org

__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca