These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca] Al Andalus as a model for *{ }*



As a serendipitous footnote. I was looking for a book on my shelves and came
across
Manicus a history and philosophy of the social sciences. Where had I seen
this before?

xmca I thought.

I googled Manicus on lchc and sure enough, came up with the following
fragment from an earlier discussion:

An interesting tip from a colleague.
mike
-------------------

"...a kind of historically oriented unified social science with overlapping,
non-discrete, connected concerns."

In: Peter T. Manicas, "A", page 214.


Spelling that out a little more vis a vis inter-tradition-mashups it comes
in a chapter on the americanization of social sciences and the way in which
its founders selectively appropriated what they had learned.


"They were German.... in thinking of *Geisteswissenschaft *as a kind of
historically oriented unified social science with overlapping, non-discrete,
connected concerns.:

A rhyzhome, a fungle entanglement....??

Certainly descriptive of the situation that we find ourselves in, although I
believe we are witnessing a variety of reinventions of the humane sciences
of the 19th century.

mike
On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Both Larry and Christine.
>
> I have continued thinking about ways to make clearer affinities across
> traditions/
> discourse communities. I have thought of two ideas with respect to the
> recent interchanges.
>
> 1. Do you think that it is possible to write up a journal-length paper that
> summarizes
> your takes on the synergisms among traditions that you see? Quite apart
> from
> interest in MCA, this sort of topic should fit with the new Valsiner
> journal on integrative psychological and behavioral sciences. Two potential
> places to get it out.
>
> and/or
>
> 2. Might it be possible to put together a "distributed, virtual course
> syllabus" of the sort that we did a few years ago on Vygotsky & Co. on xmca?
>
> Either could be very helpful.
>
> And while you are at it, what does it take to get serious discussion going
> with the
> social representation folks out there in xmca-land? (I am reminded because
> I am
> using some materials by Sandra Jovchelovich in my current grad seminar)?
>
> Thanks for passing along Rene's intro, Larry. The integration of art into
> our conversations in recent years, along with performance and play,
> certainly are
> important and Rene's thoughts are always interesting to read.
>
> mike
>
>
>
>
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM, christine schweighart <
> schweighartgate@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>> Dear Mike,
>> I am just encountering Borgerson's 'witnessing' and 'irreplacibility etc -
>> and I am finding that F. Gonzalez Rey's Chapter helps untangle some sticking
>> points  sympathetic to Borgerson who does still use  'inter-subjective' and
>> some key terms in a way that coud be brought out differently.
>>
>> And yes - fungal mycelium - as Alan has researched them- is much more
>> relational than a previous  rhizome metaphor.  Alan brings out  a different
>> ontology,  and not only metaphoric  contrasts in his work, he does extend
>> implications from his empirical scientific and uses metaphor to convey his
>> thinking in his work and art too.
>> Yes Ingold already thought so - thanks for that observation.  Curiously he
>> is aware of Alan's work too.
>>
>>
>>
>> http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=S3GakE5OT-kC&lpg=PA426&ots=ViCvqWkJ5A&dq=ingold%20rhizome&pg=PA426#v=onepage&q=ingold%20rhizome&f=false
>>
>>
>> Christine.
>>
>>  __________________________________________
>> _____
>> xmca mailing list
>> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
>> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
>>
>
>
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca