These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[xmca] Re: Vygotsky's personal perezhivanie on his trip to London



The authors of the article are Rene van der Veer & Ekaternina Zavershneva
Integrative Psychological & Behavioral Sciences vol. 45 p. 458-474. This is
an open access article that anyone can download.  It is a fascinating
journey through "vital experience"
Larry

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> The conversation on perezhivanie as "vital" experience and its relation to
> habits [Dewey] may gain some "insight" from locating this movement in
> actuality at the moment of in*forming.  In that spirit, I'm going to offer a
> section of Vygotsky's journal that he wrote on his journey to London via
> Berlin in 1925. The quote comes from the latest journal of "Intergrative
> Psychological and Behaviorial Sciences"
>
> "In Berlin I was thinking of you {Gokha} all the time. I am convinced that
> enormous ordeals lie ahead for us {Russia-Europe} - will you be happy and
> joyous? My darling. My light. In a foreign country, in the fresh air (an
> airplane) at sea - you feel a strange aloofness of everything. A
> reconsideration of your whole life, a revision of the soul. Suddenly you
> look at your whole life from aside, as in the minute of death. How
> excruciating! My words in this unforgettable journey - I myself set the
> rules of the game. The unforgettable Berlin is like a sign of my courage. I
> became more courageous (again the passport - Oldenzaal - memorize!!!) only
> after this bleak , excruciating, and wonderful day in Berlin. In my destiny,
> this is the sign of future enormous ordeals. Am I afraid? Of course, I am
> afraid. Of course I'm afraid, I feel terror, but keep it in check. I still
> have my strength and power. Let be.  Gokha.  I am with you."
>
> I "read" this passage as an example of "active experience" [perezhivanie].
> It is "qualified movement" and in this movement there is movement of the
> "soul" [psyche].  I read this movement "interpsychologically"
>
> Larry
>
>
>
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca