These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca] Spam and xmca mailing list



On 28 October 2011 13:39, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> Huw, I have been on xmca with this email address since 1999, and I have
> never thought that xmca was a significant source of spam. The overwhelming
> majority of spam I get is from just one fellow who has phished my address
> and uses it to spam millions of others and I get all the bounce messages. :(
> But on marxists.org (where I have another email account) we have an alias
> system, and whenever spam gets too high, the volunteer changes alias. This,
> together with the server subscribing to various spam filters makes sure that
> spam remains at an absolutely trivial level. The only defence each
> individual volunteer uses is exactly the strategy that xmca uses, simple
> disguises of email addresses on the one and only one page where it is
> listed, which are sufficient to prevent automatic spam harvesters.
>
> Bruce, who looks after the technical side of xmca is cc-ed above (although
> Bruce also follows discussion on the list and would have read your initial
> message). If you have a concrete suggestion, I am sur Bruce would listen.
>

Website pages can be marked as _not_ for 'spider bots' that accumulate pages
for google and the like, I believe.  So checking the relevant lchc pages
would be a start.

Again, this is anecdotal, but pretty easy to check.

Huw


>
> Andy
>
>
> Huw Lloyd wrote:
>
>> On 28 October 2011 13:11, Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> Consider changing to gmail for your xmca messages.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> I use gmail, i'd rather not have it in the spam at all.   I guess those
>> people who use an email account solely for xmca will be better able to
>> gauge
>> the level of associated spam -- pretty easy to test, if there was
>> willingness to do anything about it on confirmation.
>>
>> Huw
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> On 28 October 2011 13:29, Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> I'd estimate that 80% of the spam I get is from spammers using the xmca
>>>> mailing list (either the mail itself or the members list on html page).
>>>> Has anyone put some thought into making this less easy for spammers?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Huw
>>>> ______________________________**____________
>>>> _____
>>>> xmca mailing list
>>>> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
>>>> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/**listinfo/xmca<http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Be mindful. Regret nothing.
>>> Carol's motto.
>>>
>>> *Visiting Lecturer
>>> Wits School of Education
>>> Research Fellow*
>>> *Linguistics Dept: Unisa
>>> *
>>> ______________________________**____________
>>> _____
>>> xmca mailing list
>>> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
>>> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/**listinfo/xmca<http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> ______________________________**____________
>> _____
>> xmca mailing list
>> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
>> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/**listinfo/xmca<http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> ------------------------------**------------------------------**
> ------------
> *Andy Blunden*
> Joint Editor MCA: http://www.tandfonline.com/**toc/hmca20/18/1<http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/hmca20/18/1>
> Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/
> Book: http://www.brill.nl/default.**aspx?partid=227&pid=34857<http://www.brill.nl/default.aspx?partid=227&pid=34857>
>
> ______________________________**____________
> _____
> xmca mailing list
> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/**listinfo/xmca<http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>
>
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca