The current MCA article for discussion is aPeter Jones' commentary on an
earlier MCA article by Julian Williams, which in turns develops the ideas
of Lave & McDermott's reading of Marx's 1844 immanent critique of (Adam
Smith's 1776) theory of political economy. A long thread! I will confine my
comments here to Lave and McDermott's article, by way of background to the
issues taken up by Williams and Jones in successive issues of MCA.
About 30 years ago, I was interested in the foundations of mathematics,
in particular Marx' study of mathematics, and I tried an exercise somwhat
like Lave & McDermott's. I took the first page of Marx's /Capital /and
made a word substitution in it (basically making the commodity relation a
metaphor for a mathematical equation) and was very pleased with the result.
Fortunately, the idea went no further than a discussion over coffee with
Cyril Smith, and I never tried it again. Nonetheless, I learnt from the
exercise, in much the same way I think people learn by writing a haiku or
putting their ideas in verse. By subjecting an idea to some extraneous but
rigid discipline, one forces oneself to more closely examine the idea, and
in an objectified kind of way, which can give fresh insights. In this
sense, I can see that the group that read Marx's 1844 essay "Estranged
Labour" and substituted "labour" with schoolwork, a.k.a. "learning," would
have learnt a great deal about Marx's approach and deepened their
already-sophisticated critique of modern schooling. But I think the result,
when written out, carries as much confusion as clarity, and at worst could
promote a very formal and superificial understanding of Marx's approach and
serve to undermine the very deep critique of formal education that these
writers have produced. Because (as I see it) confusion only gets compounded
as the paper goes on, I will confine myself to one metaphor from early in
the paper. After that, the mixture of profound understanding and radical
confusion I found too much to cope with.
But before beginning, Marx did also have ideas about public education,
and http://www.marxists.org/**archive/marx/works/subject/**
education/index.htm<http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/subject/education/index.htm>has some of these.
Early on, the authors refer to a section in /Capital /which is often
cited in this context. The point Marx is making is that a teacher in a
private for-profit school is in exactly the same position as a wage-worker
in a for-profit factory. In this context, the schoolkids are the consumers
of their services, not the labourers. But Lave and McDermott see that when
Marx says it makes no difference whether it is a school or a sausage
factory, that this shows somehow that the students are "like" wage workers.
Later the authors say that "production in education might be more akin to
what Marx calls distribution in political economy." I tend to agree with
the authors that a central function of public education is the sorting of
youth into well-credentialed future-productive workers and failures
destined to low-value labouring. That is how labour power is produced. But
making the analogy of this to the separation of the labourers from their
means of labour and the sundering of society into two classes, wage
labourer and capitalist, is perverse. Bourdieu had a good theory of
"educaional capital" but in fact the word "capital" is a misnomer in
Bourdieu's work, or at least it has a different meaning than it had for
Marx, and cannot be derived by metaphor or generalisation.
I have written too much already, and must stop. Dialectics means taking
relations *concretely*. So when Marx began /Capital /with an analysis of
the commodity relation, he was able to unfold the whole of economic life
out of the commodity relation because of contradictions inherent in *that*
relation. If we abstract the *form *of the argument and insert materially
different terms, as if we were looking at a theorem of Boolean symbolic
logic, in which the indiuvidual terms are utterly without content, then
what results may be pleasing to Alain Badiou, but not to any Marxist or
serious educationalist, I think.
Metaphors work because the source and target domains are homologous in
some respects but *not iin others*. Care must be taken in using
transformations of this kind. The student-teacher relationship is *not *a
/customer-service provider relation/. A school is a place for the
production of labour power (inclusive of all the social relations
presupposed by labour power, not just know-how!), not accumulation of
capital, except in the case of the private education factories, which are
incidentally also profit making enterprises.
These comments were by way of introduction. Julian Williams took his
inspiration (I believe) from Lave and McDermott's study, and the MCA paper
which results tackles the question concretely.
Andy
mike cole wrote:
Here is the Outlines article that starts the sequence leading to Jones.
I
believe the Williams piece has been posted.
mike