These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[xmca] The metaphors that constitute Ingold's "wayfaring" as orientation and Zygmunt Bauman's "pilgrimage" as expressing yearnings and motivations



Tony,

I wanted to start a new thread that may parallel and expand on the 2
articles by Julian Willams and Peter Jones.

 I'm attaching an article by Zygmunt Bauman that uses metaphorical images
of pilgrimage as central to our notions of modernity as a time of
wanderings.  I hope others enjoy his writing style as much I did.  He does
not use the specific term "mythological" [instead referring to mono-logical
assumptions] but he does take a historical perspective on our current
wanderings.

Bauman is engaged in trying to develop a new social ethic or value that
will re-vitalize our public sphere or what is often referred to as the
search for a "new commons". Within the new commons hermeneutical voices
that are multiple will challenge the mono-logical perspective.

Tony, I appreciate Zygmunt's genre of writing that puts our yearnings and
neediness back into the public arena and not expressions of encapsulated
identities.  His exploration of "identity" as a concept that would only
emerge within "desert" climates is a fascinating perspective.

Larry

Attachment: OCTOBER 31 2011 BAUMAN ZYGMUNT Pilgrim-tourist.pdf
Description: Adobe PDF document

__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca