These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[xmca] Engagement with Activity Theory.



Dear Mike,

I read  your joint article in the special issue of T&P 2011 and appreciated the notion of mutual appropriation - I was contrasting with, and have not found myself able to 'project' into 'formative teaching experment'  - though this would be another thread. Also in that issue Yryo used a definition of 'intervention' from Gerald Midgley, who I am working with now, his contribution has been to introduce a concept of 'boundary critique' -influenced by Ullrich -into  'Critical Systems Thinking'.

I became interested in 'activity theory' after responding to a call for papers for ISCAR 2005 Seville - and you responded! Also in that conference you gave a very moving talk WITH from and back to your audience - I enjoyed that - but of course the 'content' has now gone in memory.  It was only when Seth Chaiklin moved to the UK and 'rounded up'  stragglers that I engaged 'theoretically', very slowly and with very different values about research, but I got to the question I asked Andy, and still have -  in there somewhere-my historical traces to understand my communions and differences etc..  Going back into 'systems'  - with  the opacity of 're-entry',  initial dialogues show appreciation ' we haven't got a theory of activity' :).  Though their background has a stong history of community developmental work, and environmental developmental intervention .

In using this list serve, my email doesn't seem to 'reply' to messages in the way others mange to- I don't get a smooth 'title' and copy message, so I've not just quite got the hang of this. It meant that I couldn't direct comments - so early on I 'lost' responding to David Kellog on the discussion f the wine and bottles - and also on the talk of recognition. I have attempted to present a distinction of subjectification and 'appreciation' in recent talks - but this is 'unappreciated' with those deeply immersed in the notion of subjectification --  So I read greg's comments and will re-read the whole thread- it went very quickly!

Also I can't get an 'automatic' email to open on Bruce's link ( same problem with my hotmail set up) - so if there are any guidelines as to what is acceptable in terms of links to other websites etc  please point me there( and how to 'reply' in threads  with more focus/proximity). Live links are stripped out , sometimes they are 'accidentally' cut and pasted in haste, - but don't know the trouble this might provoke your server etc.

Many thanks, Christine.


 		 	   		  __________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca