These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca] activity (was concepts)



Quick aside: I'm currently limping along in daily digest mode, if someone
has the authentication to switch it off for me, before Bruce gets back to
his emails, that'd be great.

> Huw--
>
> What notion of activity are you using when you write below:
>
> "The omission I'm noticing here is that knowing and experiencing is an
> activity" ?
>
> (I include the immediately preceeding paragraph for context)
> mike

Mental activity.  Experiencing is not passive, it is met half way and is
actively interpreted (when I get round to it, Husserl is the place to go for
this, I believe).

Likewise knowing (the mental act of grasping) is an activity too.  Wertsch
provided a lucid description of this activity with his depiction of pole
vaulting (Mind as action -- great book, in my opinion).  Let's say we're
playing speed chess.  I adopt a tactic of thinking in your time:  You muse,
ponder a bit, make a move then hit the timer.  If you happen to have made a
move I predicted for, I make the move that I've primed myself for
immediately as I've already mentally acted out the operation.

Yes, I do see this as a continuum of social activity.

I'm enjoying the posts.

Huw
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca