These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca]-- LONG trails of prior messages help!!



> HUW et al--
>
> I do not know about others, but I have been receiving emails with many
many
> pages of badly formatted prior messages in the message stream. I have, for
> example, not been able to find the content in either of your prior
messages
> and have had the same difficulty with others.

Yes, it's not pretty.

>
[...]

>
> I have been unable to find a general solution to this issue.

The method I'm using here is the most effective I've come across (it works
well for technical content).  It's rare to need to quote a context stack of
5+ , and the previous emails exist in the trail.

> All messages
> are posted at xmca for later reading, so it seems that restricting the
> message trail in current messages would not restrict access.
>
> Might we, by convention, delete all but prior messages or does this cause
> difficulties.

Provided the relevant snippets are kept I've found it to work well, though
I'm happy to adopt any conventions that aren't too draconian.  The ellipses
"[...]" works as a polite way to indicate you've chopped text out of
someone's response that isn't relevant to your response.

Huw

>
> Lots of fascinating ideas streaming through xmca!
>
> mike
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca