These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids



Huw,
Is reality really something to be "penetrated."
-greg

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 27 October 2011 19:17, Linda Polin <linda.polin@pepperdine.edu> wrote:
>
> >
> > On Oct 26, 2011, at 3:42 PM, Huw Lloyd wrote:
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > Programming is part of a domain of articulated intentionality, of
> > > penetrating reality.  The issue with simplified environments is the
> > minimal
> > > penetration.  One is limited to a scope that was designed for.  The
> > spirit
> > > of programming goes beyond this to a deeper appreciation of processes.
> >
> > I was trying to indicate the openness and range of the possible in
> > Minecraft, which doesn't sacrifice the playfulness that I find lacking in
> > straight up programming except for people who enjoy debugging. I do find
> it
> > hard to grok programming as uniquely "penetrating reality," though. Could
> > you explain that? Perhaps I need "articulated intentionality" unpacked as
> > well since I see most goal driven construction efforts, e.g., to create a
> > machine in Minecraft, as articulated and intentional.
> >
> >
> I can't say I recall writing 'uniquely', Linda.
>
> Huw
> __________________________________________
> _____
> xmca mailing list
> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
>



-- 
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar
Department of Communication
University of California, San Diego
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca