These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.

These files are maintained strictly for historical reference, research, and recordkeeping purposes, and the content has not been altered or updated since archiving. Content on this site may not meet current digital accessibility standards. If you require an alternative, accessible format of any information found on this site, please contact Bruce Jones, bjones@ucsd.edu to request an accommodation.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids



On 27 October 2011 20:47, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Huw,
> Is reality really something to be "penetrated."
> -greg
>

If you wish to get from one side of a city to another, there are finite ways
of doing so using conventional transport.  If you wish to articulate that
intention in terms of a particular route, you will have to mentally
penetrate the fog of obstacles from A to B prior to an accurate
articulation.  Does 'penetrating to reality' sound better?  Hopefully the
gist is clear.

Huw


>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On 27 October 2011 19:17, Linda Polin <linda.polin@pepperdine.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > On Oct 26, 2011, at 3:42 PM, Huw Lloyd wrote:
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Programming is part of a domain of articulated intentionality, of
> > > > penetrating reality.  The issue with simplified environments is the
> > > minimal
> > > > penetration.  One is limited to a scope that was designed for.  The
> > > spirit
> > > > of programming goes beyond this to a deeper appreciation of
> processes.
> > >
> > > I was trying to indicate the openness and range of the possible in
> > > Minecraft, which doesn't sacrifice the playfulness that I find lacking
> in
> > > straight up programming except for people who enjoy debugging. I do
> find
> > it
> > > hard to grok programming as uniquely "penetrating reality," though.
> Could
> > > you explain that? Perhaps I need "articulated intentionality" unpacked
> as
> > > well since I see most goal driven construction efforts, e.g., to create
> a
> > > machine in Minecraft, as articulated and intentional.
> > >
> > >
> > I can't say I recall writing 'uniquely', Linda.
> >
> > Huw
> > __________________________________________
> > _____
> > xmca mailing list
> > xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> > http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
> Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar
> Department of Communication
> University of California, San Diego
> __________________________________________
> _____
> xmca mailing list
> xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
> http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca
>
__________________________________________
_____
xmca mailing list
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca